The Clologue district corresponds to the medieval parish of Kilbride (Cill Bhríde). In ancient times there were churches at Clologue, Kilcasey and Ballymore, and also one at Ballyregan, Known as Teampall Chíll Bhríde.
In 1774 a church was built at Clologue but was burned during the Insurrection of 1798, re-built in 1801 and dedicated to St. Brigid. This church remained in use until 1956 when the present church was opened. The older church was demolished but the carved granite altar was left in situ and is used for mass at the annual ‘pattern’.
The foundation stone of the present church of St. Brigid, designed by Herbert T. Coleman of the firm of Ashlin and Coleman. Dublin, was laid on the 15th of July 1955. The builders were John Clancy and Sons, Waterford. The church was opened on the 9th of September 1956. The nave is 59’ in length and 26’ in width, and is 33’ high to the apex of the open ceiling. The Chancel measures 18’ wide and 15’ deep. It is in the modern pointed style.
The nave is lighted by ten single-light windows, while a three-light window is in the front gable and a large window in the chancel. Features of the church are the dark oak Gothic roof trusses and exposed rafters. The exterior walls are relieved by projecting buttresses.
Text adapted from – 'Churches of the Diocese of Ferns – Symbols of a Living Faith'.
Published by Booklink, Ireland. Text copyright Diocese of Ferns 2004.
Used with Kind Permission.